||Colonial & Federal Documents
||1824 is when the building was completed.
||When the 1782 building became inadequate, the Board of Adjuntos (Managers) of Mikveh Israel voted to build a larger synagogue on the same site. William Strickland was employed to design a structure of white stone from the "Falls of the Schuylkill."
William Strickland was a noted architect in the nineteenth-century from New Jersey. Strickland was one of the founders of the Greek Revival movement in the United States, using the plates of The Antiquities of Athens for his inspiration. Throughout his career he designed many now famous building in Philadelphia and Tennessee. Some of his most noted works in the Philadelphia area include the Second Bank of the United States, the Merchant's Exchange, the United States Naval Asylum, University of Pennsylvania 9th Street buildings, and the United States Mint (demolished 1902).
Congregation Mikveh Israel retains Strickland's original drawings displayed here.
||William Strickland Architectual Drawing
||"The Jew's Synagogue Cherry Street"
designed by William Strickland